The purpose of the policy is to disclose our use and how we protect "personally identifiable information," which is information that can be associated with a specific individual or which can be used to identify a specific individual. This policy covers Brightroam, and applies to all personally identifiable information that Brightroam obtains when a user registers for a Brightroam service or places an order, including visiting the Brightroam web site. This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that Brightroam does not own or control, or to people that Brightroam does not employ or manage.
This document details:
- What personally identifiable information is collected.
- Who is collecting the information.
- How the information is being used.
- With whom the information may be shared.
- What choices are available to you with respect to the information.
- What security procedures are in place to protect the information.
- How you can correct or change the information.
Brightroam collects personally identifiable information when you become a registered user, by filling out an on-line registration form. It is necessary to become a registered user to order products and services from the on-line catalog, and to customize your web site visits.
Brightroam collects personally identifiable information such as:
- Email address.
- Company (if applicable).
- Billing address
- Shipping address
- Phone and fax numbers.
- Credit card information.
It is not necessary to provide any personally identifiable information to access any part of our public web site, such as the on-line catalog.
Web beacons (aka clear gifs, action tags) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. The main difference between the two is that Web beacons are invisible on the page and are much smaller, about the size of the period at the end of this sentence.
Brightroam may also collect optional demographic and profile data such as gender, salary, preferences, etc. on a permission basis through surveys and registrations.
Brightroam does not knowingly collect information from any children under age 13 and does not have information targeted for children under age 13.
Personally identifiable information is collected and used by Brightroam for five general purposes:
- Fulfillment of your order requests for products and services;
- Customization of the content you see;
- If you choose to opt-in, to contact you about specials and new products;
- Billing and order status purposes;
- Fulfillment and maintenance of membership and service agreements.
- We have your consent to share the information;
- We need to provide the information to other companies to fulfill your request for a product or service, such as a shipping company, credit card processing company, or service partner. (Without your consent, these companies do not have the right to use the personally identifiable information we provide to them beyond what is necessary to assist us.);
- We are legally required to provide information in response to court orders, subpoenas or legal process;
- We find that your actions violate the usage guidelines outlined in the Brightroam Terms and Conditions.
- We feel that an emergency situation has arisen which requires us to release information before we can contact you for consent (such as a verified family emergency).
Cookies and Session Variables:
A cookie is a very small text file that is added to your hard disk from some web pages. Cookies are harmless, in that they cannot extract information from your hard disk, nor can they transmit viruses or otherwise corrupt your computer. You can prevent the receipt of cookies at any time by turning off the accept cookies option in your browser preference choices. Brightroam uses a combination of session variables that are stored on our server along with session cookies to customize the site according to your preferences. Some session variables, such as user id, are tied to your personally identifiable information to allow you to place orders and your profile information. Personally identifiable information is not stored in cookies.
The Brightroam web site contains links to other web sites. Brightroam is not responsible for the privacy practices of sites owned and operated by other companies. You should be aware when you leave our web site, and you should read the privacy policies of each web site that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by Brightroam, and such information remains private and secure when you follow links to other web sites.
Brightroam may, from time to time, send you email or direct mail regarding our products and services. If you do not want to receive such information, simply tell us when you give us your personal information, or follow the directions contained on it to remove your name from our mailing list. If you ever have questions regarding an email you receive from Brightroam, or you want to be removed from a mailing list, please contact us at email@example.com.
Your Brightroam account information is password protected for your privacy and security. The Brightroam web site uses industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption to protect data transmissions. Only authorized employees have access to personally identifiable information and that access is limited by their need to know. For added security, you will be logged out automatically from your account on the Brightroam web site if your visit is inactive for a specific amount of time. When you are finished visiting the Brightroam web site, however, make sure you close your browser.
When you login to the Brightroam web site, you have the option of viewing your profile, in your "Account". This contains most of the personally identifiable information we have on file for your account. You may also contact via email at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to access, correct or change any of your pieces of personally identifiable information.
If at any time you would like the personally identifiable information that we have for you on file to be deactivated in our records please contact email@example.com. If you request to have your personally identifiable information deactivated, you will be functionally deleted from our system. Brightroam will not sell, transfer, or use personally identifiable information relating to you in any way. Due to system back-ups and deletions records, some residual information may remain on our system, under the same security protocols.
Questions or Suggestions:
1039 McNicoll Avenue
Canada M1W 3W6